It is the winter time and that is when dry skin usually sets in. Personally, I have a hard time remembering to moisturize and put lotion on my body. But with these nifty little lotion bars, I am able to grab one, apply, and it leaves my skin feeling fabulous. I can even take a few with me on the road for whenever I need lotion. I also love that they are made with all natural ingredients. You can decide what you want to add to them or what you would like to leave out.
If you are looking for something to do during the week or even need a project for a girls night in, this is the perfect DIY project for you to try. Not a lot of people are familiar with lotion bars so they are somewhat of a conversation starter. 🙂
There are a variety of ways that you can make these bars.
Option A: Olive Oil and Coconut Oil.
Option B: Beeswax, Shea Butter and Coconut Oil
Option C: Beeswax and Coconut Oil.
Since I didn’t have shea butter or olive oil in my pantry, I opted for option C.
Here are the ingredients:
- ½ cup White Beeswax Pellets
- 2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
- A few drops of Vitamin E Oil
- A few droplets of Rosehip and Jojoba Oil
- 10-15 drops of Essential Oils
- a whisk or spoon
- a thermometer
- A Silicone Mold
You can use any type of beeswax and coconut oil. The essential oils I chose to use is Frankincense, Spike Lavender and Grapefruit. Frankincense and Lavender are really good for combating dry skin. I wanted to add in Vitamin E and Rosehip w/Jojoba because it helps to moisturize the skin. I added grapefruit EO because I like the scent.
For this project is decided to go the double boiler method by using a base pot filled with near boiling water and a 4lb Wax Pouring Pot.
You don’t have to have a wax pour pot, but it makes it a little easier to have when pouring your lotion bars.
- Melt your wax for 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Then add in your coconut oil. Let everything completely melt before taking it off the heat.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes. When the mixture comes off the heat it should be anywhere from 190-210 degrees. Mine was originally 200 degrees but it quickly moved to 192 before taking the picture.
3. Don’t let your wax harden You want the mixture off the heat long enough to add your essential oils. Try adding your essential oils around 160-180 degrees.
4. Add your essential oils and stir. Then quickly add to your wax to a silicone mold like the one below. The wax will start to harden within 5 minutes. If you don’t get all of your mix in the mold before it starts to harden you can always either reheat the mixture or take it and store the rest in a jar for later use.
5. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before using.
The lotion bars should be completely cooled within 30 minutes. Once they are cooled place in tupperware or a glass jar and store in a cool place.
You can use these in the shower if you like. To activate the bar, rub between your hands for a minute or two until they are warm enough to spread on your hands and body. If they don’t get warm enough you can also heat them up in the microwave for 5-10 seconds. It makes them easier to spread when they are warm.
Your end product should end up looking somewhat like this:
You’re so welcome!
Hi! Thank you so much!
This is great! I love your blog!
Hi Reem! I’m glad you liked it. 🙂 Oh that’s awesome. Yes I will check that out and follow…
Great post! Very informative, I really enjoyed reading these tips, I will definitely follow for future posts!…
When you go to purchase your silicone mold you can buy any size you like. I choose to purchase the smaller decorative seashell mold. The results of how many bars you have will depend on the size of the mold. This produced about 10 small bars and 1 large bar. You can get silicone molds for Joann Fabrics, Michaels, Amazon, Target, etc.
I hope these lotion bars help you combat your dry skin and get you on a better road to beautiful skin. If you would like to learn more about essential oils and get other DIY recipes click here.
Thanks for reading and have a great DIY day!
Be kind and share this post with your friends and family on any social media platform.